Mr. Forsythe's English Courses
"It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Welcome to my website. Please, find your grade level page and navigate to your specific course period.
We'll all need the following tools:
- A three subject binder with three pocket folders inside for Reading, Writing, and Speaking & Listening
- A notebook of the scholars choice that is dedicated to this class and no other
- Dictionary - online or otherwise.
Google Meet Expectations (per admin)
- keep your camera on. This shows you're engaged and allows me to see when you need help.
- only one background per class time - must be appropriate. Keep the focus!
- please, participate actively and stay focused
- do not talke while the Manager is talking, others won't hear, and you won't either.
- answer questions when called upon. Make a guess if you have to. It's human to not be perfect.
- one person speaks at a time
- when you are not speaking, mute yourself
- post questions on the chat as needed - MUST use chat appropriately. Kindness always counts.
- do not change who is presenting. That just derails everything.
- use the technology appropriately - respect your Manager, yourself, and your peers
- minimize distractions - no music in background. Again, stay focused.
The homework for this class will prepare you for the class time activities and instruction, quizzes, and exams. Expect to have up to 4 hours of homework per week for your English class. Homework will consist of reading, research, writing assignments, and some craft work. When you are participating on a pre-class activity team, your level of participation will inevitably affect your teammates. Please pull your weight.
If you feel a peer is not bearing their weight in a team activity, I expect you to:
1) use your social skills and speak kindly and encouragingly to the teammate and ask what may be preventing them from fufilling their resonsibilty. You may offer to assist them in problem solving, but don't do the work for them.
2) If no results follow, speak with me, early, regarding the situation.
I expect ASK Academy scholars to produce high quality, thoughtful work showing evidence of tiem and effort put into the product. Assigned projects will range from slide-show compostitions, team literature analysis, paragraph and essay compostitions, and some hands-on craftwork. Always be prepared to present your assigments to the class. When working a project over a week or longer, do keep in communication with me about your progress to ensure you're on track. I welcome scholar ideas and modifications so long as they are safe, appropriate, and target the project learning goals.
It is the scholar's responsibility to make arrangements to turn in assignments/projects if an absence occurs. Please check your class Google Classroom to see what we covered in class, what was assigned, and when it is due.
I understand that sometimes it seems the world works against you. So, if you feel you need to negotiate a new due date please reach out to me as soon as possible. I accept late work for up to three (3) days, including weekend days, after the due date. This means that were you to turn in on Saturday a ten-point assignment that was due on Thursday, the most you can earn on that assignment would be 8 points. I do not accept work later than three (3) days late.
Office Hours: 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. M, T, Th, F